Linear Accelerator Commissioning
Additional Commissioning Services
LinearPhysics provides a proprietary method of efficient commissioning along with utilizing state-of-the-art equipment, delivering swift and accurate results.
Our ABR board certified physicists provide commissioning services tailored to specific client needs, freeing medical physicists to continue their clinical duties while still engaging with the commissioning process.
- Shielding Design, Evaluation: Radiation shielding design plans for all types of installations in addition to post-installation shielding survey, based on recommendations of NCRP Report 151
- Linac Acceptance: Test procedures performed to ensure that the equipment meets the manufacturer's specifications or Customer Acceptance Procedure (CAP)
- Beam Data Acquisition: Full data collection includes TPS required data with the addition of annual quality assurance baseline scans. Measurement are made with state-of-the-art scanning equipment, and appropriate detectors
- Data Modeling: Performed according to each vendor’s dose calculation algorithms, including hand calculation verifications
- TPS Model Validation: Rigid and thorough TPS validation is based on recommendations of AAPM’s MPPG 5.a
- TG-51 Absolute Dose Calibration: Calibration performed according to the customer’s specified calibration geometry, using AAPM’s TG-51 and addendum to TG-51. Exposure of TLDs/OSLDs from RDS/IROC
- Detailed Commissioning Report and Data Book: Comprehensive data book and commissioning report. Complete review and discussion of report with customer upon conclusion of the project.
Additional Commissioning Services
- VMAT commissioning: RapidArc, SmartArc
- Portal Dosimetry Configuration: Calibration of imager, measurement of patient plans for model validation
- SRS cone and SBRT MLC small field commissioning: Small field data collection and validation, including end-to-end tests
- Total Body Irradiation Commissioning: Including CAX output, beam profiles, and spoiler correction factor, following recommendations of AAPM Report #17
Whether to meet ACR, or state regulatory requirements, linear accelerators require monthly and annual quality assurance testing and calibration by a board certified physicist.
LinearPhysics can provide these services in a prompt, expert, and convenient manner. Our comprehensive quality assurance testing can provide confidence in machine performance and accuracy. The clinic’s medical physicist can stay focused on their full-time duties, while being assured that the work is being performed by a highly qualified physicist. A detailed annual QA report includes scan data and test summaries. If necessary, LinearPhysics can provide a scanning system and any associated measurement equipment.
Linear Accelerator Annual QA
- AAPM’s TG-142 recommendations
- AAPM’s TG-51 Absolute Dose Calibration
- AAPM’s MPPG 8.a recommendations
“Over the last ten years, they have accepted and commissioned eight of our linear accelerators. Each project started and ended on time, and stayed within budget.
They communicated with us continually throughout the projects, always available in case we had questions.
Our confidence in their work allowed our staff physicists to focus on other responsibilities. “
- Paul Geis, Ph.D. Assistant Professor, University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center